Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The Tour de Fat


One neat feature of our house is the centralised hoovering system. Whilst the house was built, all the necessary pipework was installed, under the house, with a suction unit in an outside cupboard. We were pleased to find this system because we had never seen it in the UK (but had seen it in the US). However, as neat as it is, from time to time, the pipes get blocked and it's a bit of a nuisance to unblock them. I usually use a very powerful 'regular' vacuum. But not this time, this time it's well and truly blocked. Mr Vacuum Man calls to say he can come next week and sucks in through his teeth when I tell him the make. Do they go to school to learn this technique?


***

Out to the relais in Montmirat for lunch with Jill and Harry for their bank busting 11 euros lunch (including wine). Suitably refreshed, Jan and I head off to Nîmes to take our cycles in for a service. Don't laugh, I take the view that if I'm going to start cycling for exercise (yeah right!! - The Tour de Fat - Ed.) then I don't want the bike to fall to bits, just like it did when Josh took it out a few weeks ago. We bought these bikes over 5 years ago and they have very few miles on the clock - very few! In fact they have travelled further in the back of the lorry that brought them out here to France, than with someone in the saddle. May be I should just give up on the notion, as someone once said, 'brain cells come and brain cells go but fat cells are forever.'
***
Isn't the mind a funny thing? Watching the remembrance services last night, made me think about a trip I made up the Empire State Building, then, there I was lying in bed this morning wondering, why do people pay to go up tall buildings, and then pay to use a binocular to look at things on the ground? Hmnnnnn.

No comments: