Saturday, September 02, 2006

Even more conspiracy theories


During lunch yesterday a very intelligent, successful chap started to talk about the conspiracy theories surrounding 9/11. He conceded the possibility that explosives were used to collapse one of the Towers. I started to laugh until I found that he was deadly serious. When I mentioned this during our evening conversation at dinner last night, some of the kids started making the same kind of preposterous comments. These thoughts all emanating from intelligent people. This made me start to think about why people look for and embrace these kinds of thoughts. Are people becoming so cynical that they refuse to see or believe what's in front of them? Are they looking for alternative meanings because life seems too mundane or are they just a product of the fantasist age where demons lurk under stones and where police are the new villains? An age where people that want to blow up planes need to be better understood and are not just dangerous, brainwashed maniacs.


***

On a lighter (thank God - Ed.) note Ben, Paula and I went to Sommieres to buy some goodies for lunch. I finished what I had to do and was waiting impatiently in the car for them to return. When eventually they showed up I had a little rant and said, "Just how long does it take you to buy a bag of cheese?" Paula, quick as a flash said, "This is no ordinary bag of cheese, this is a great selection of cheese." She should be in advertising!


***

Jan was not feeling too well yesterday and took to her bed. This meant that yours truly had to cook dinner. Well, the truth is that is was already mostly prepared, I just had to cook it. And very nice it was too, he said modestly.

No comments: