Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The hills are alive to the sound of tractors




The vendage is now in full swing and it's not unusual (good name for a song that- Ed.), to wake to the sound of tractors in the hills. If it's hot, like it is now, they will harvest the grapes in the middle of the night, when the temperature is cooler, to prevent fermentation starting before they can get the grapes back to the cave.
It never fails to amaze me that the monster machines (above) can complete such a delicate task as removing the grapes from the vines, without destroying everything in sight, but they do.
On the subject of wine, Nigel wrote today to express his satisfaction with the Picpoul that I recommended in the posting of 8th June. I'm surprised that they had any left, anyway, yet another satisfied customer. Thank you, Nigel.
***
Things you wish you had said:
"I'm not vegetarian because I love animals, I'm vegetarian because I hate plants!"
***
It was Becs and Trevor's last night tonight and they fancied tuna. Trevor marinated it in lime juice, garlic, chilli and oil and I cooked it on the BBQ. Everyone enjoyed it except Jan who is still very delicate and had her own courgette soup.

No comments: