Sunday, September 24, 2006

A new word to play with


Alison and Toby left today after a brunch which included Eggs Benedict (don't tell me, it's one of your favourites - Ed.). They're a great couple and we are sorry to see them go. As befits this unhappy event, it rained all day so I was forced to plonk myself in front of the television and watch the last day of the Ryder Cup. Didn't we do well?


***

During an interview today, Tony Blair used the word 'resile' (rizail), meaning to abandon a course of action or withdraw. Never having heard this word before and because I like new words, I decided to use it at least once in general conversation today. So I said to Jan, "I'm not going to resile from what I said before, about the hollandaise sauce on the Eggs Benedict not being runny enough," to which Jan replied, "and I'm not going to resile my decision not to cook dinner tonight. You can get it yourself." See what us wordsmiths have to go through!

No comments: