Saturday, March 31, 2007

A new hypnotic drug


I hate not finishing a book. But I have just given up on one, when exactly half way through. A book so tedious and difficult to read that I kept falling asleep. In fact what I suggest is that doctors stop prescribing sleeping pills and dish out this book instead. The major benefit being that you won't be stuffing yourself with chemicals, it would help prevent suicide attempts (although that's arguable) and it would save the health service a fortune. At £6.99 or $13 US it could be used over and over again. This book is such a powerful sleep inducer that I fell asleep on a plane recently whilst reading it. I never fall asleep on planes! OK, so what is this new miracle sleep cure? It's a book called 'Offside' by Manuel Valquez Montalban and translated from the Spanish by Ed Emery. Here's a sentence that caught my eye. 'Some of the journalists were beginning to show impatience with this process of onasmatic accretion............' What the hell does that mean? OK, I'm showing my ignorance (you do it all the time - Ed) but a 'poolside read' shouldn't need the aid of a dictionary in order to understand what's going on. If you have difficulty sleeping at night this the perfect solution. Pick it up, try to read a page and you will be asleep in no time. And, at 275 pages of small print it will last you a long time.


***

Feeling like a little drink, we went off to the market in Sommieres this morning. The usual suspects were settled outside under the arches at Les Delices du Liban and a jolly good time was had by all. Unfortunately, 'the jolly good time' pretty much wiped out the rest of the day!

No comments: