Thursday, March 08, 2007

Holidays


Yippee! Today we're going on our hols (Isn't everyday a holiday for you? - Ed). I know, I know, living in a temperate Mediterranean climate is hardly unpleasant but on reflection we haven't spent more than three days in the last four and half years on a vacation. My definition of a vacation is a good period of time, minimum one week, in a warm climate (yes? - Ed) not having to do anything you don't want to do (yes? - Ed), being waited on hand and foot (Jan already does that for you! - Ed) and not having to cook (Jan does that as well! - Ed). Well, today we set off for Tenerife. The nearest airport that I could find, for a non-stop flight, was Girona in Spain and, because the flight leaves Girona at 06.35 the following morning, and not fancying having to leave home at 02.00, we decided to stay overnight at the airport.
A good part of the day was spent preparing for the trip including getting the dogs to kennels and figuring out how I could take the laptop within the baggage allowance. Ryanair's policy is all well and good for short trips, but for anything over a week the baggage allowance feels a bit small. Hey ho, the flight was cheap! By the way, the picture above was the first that I came across with regards to holidays in Tenerife. It just seemed er, appropriate!
The journey to Girona was trouble free apart from strong cross winds from Narbonne down. It seems that every time I drive down this road I encounter strong winds. I might be unlucky but it's not an area I would choose to live in without some research on the subject.

No comments: