Friday, May 19, 2006

Sexual harassment

This morning I was sexually harassed. This was kinda strange because it's normally the other way round but anyway, I had to visit the doctor to get my prescription renewed. It was the lovely Dr J on duty (I must remember that Fridays are a good day at the surgery) who I hadn't seen for a long time. She is very tall, was wearing hipster trousers and a very short top. Every time she moved or bent down she showed acres of midriff (not that I really noticed). In my head, I was troubled because I knew that all this exposure was going to shoot my blood pressure off the scale. As I lay there with my arm nestling near all that naked flesh I had to concentrate really hard at relaxing. It was hard! Anyway, she seemed satisfied with my blood pressure at 13/8, whatever that means. She is a very nice doctor, very friendly and she didn't tell me off for not losing any weight. She asked why I had lost 8 kilos last year. I replied that it was because I was scared stiff of the nutritionist, but that it was hardly a long term solution to my weight problems, never mind being bad for your heart. She laughed and agreed. What a nice lady! (For goodness sake, calm down - Ed.)


***

Reminiscing with Floyd (who played Davis Cup for his country) this morning I remembered a ProAm tennis tournament that I played in a few years ago. I was playing with a tall, friendly, foreign male called Hans. We had a good time and really kicked ass. I knew he wasn't a tennis player because I would have recognised him, but he had fabulous ball sense, great hands and could really hit a ball. Trying to be friendly I said to him, "You play really well, you could play sport professionally." He laughed and we carried on. It wasn't until a little later that I realised that it was Hans Seegers, who played in goal for his country, Holland. Boy, did I feel a chump. I met him lots of times after that, at the club, and he was always up for a beer, so I suppose he forgave me. Nice man.
***
After lunch, Floyd and Delano took off for the Pont du Gard, a must do trip for anyone new to this area. Because we've been there many times before, we decided to chill at home. I'm getting good at chillin. So good that I didn't wake until 08.30 this morning and I had a nice nap this afternoon. I wonder if I'm getting sleeping sickness? (More like old git syndrome - Ed.)
***
For dinner tonight, Jan cooked her famous ribs (marinated in rice vinegar, soy sauce, chilli, ginger, star anise, cinnamon stick, spring onion, groundnut oil, sesame oil and honey ) and a delicious hot chocolate soufle pudding which is all soft and gooey in the middle. It's a good job I didn't mention all this stuff to the doctor!.
***
Just before we headed for bed we could hear drums from somewhere in the village. Why on earth they need to start practising at 11.00 at night is for anybody to guess. This weekend is the village Festival du Clown starting on Saturday and finishing on Sunday night. This is one of the excellent events that the village holds every year and is well worth a visit. Tomorrow promises to be a busy day.

No comments: