Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Ankle bracelets

They only positive benefit from working in the garden is a sun tan, if indeed that's a benefit. The down side is that I get back ache. The suffering that we gardeners do for our calling.
This evening, as with other evenings throughout summer and even in winter, we see the wonderful 'peach glow' that bathes the house and surrounding countryside, as the sun sets. It's quite magical.

***

It's funny how these conversations develop. There we were watching a collection of 'American stars' on television singing 'We are the World' and I happened to mention Paul Anka, and how good he was the time I saw him in Las Vegas. Jan piped in that she would love to go to LV and, to groans from Jan, I happened to say that we would have to use a limo and stay at some flash hotel. The reason she groaned was that the last time we were in California, I had a difficult time in persuading Jan to get a limo from Irvine, where we were staying courtesy of the Barretts, to the airport in Los Angeles. Her working class roots came to the fore and Jan just wouldn't entertain the idea. Eventually I persuaded her and I called a limo company to book it. I insisted on a black limo because a white one only reminded me of Essex girls (sorry Essex girls) and their drunken trips to the racing at Ascot, near where we used to live. Anyway, I was on the phone requesting a black limo when Jan piped up in the background to say that if we were going to get a limo we might as well go the whole hog, and get a white one and that she could also buy an ankle bracelet. Isn't it funny how these conversations evolve?

No comments: