Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Just a bowl of cherries?


This morning Jan called me sleazy. Now most men would treat that as an insult, but not me. I see it as recognition of all the effort I put in to being sleazy. Which I suppose, sort of justifies her insult! Notwithstanding this attack on my character, I picked her some cherries off our tree (don't they look good?) and offered them to Jan as a peace offering. We had them for lunch and she graciously decided to share them with me.

***

Later, in the process of shaking out some towels that she brought in from drying, Jan noticed that the noise had frightened Minnie. We were discussing this when Jan said, "Mind you, I suppose I can understand her fear, look how frightened I get when I see a duster!" It would have been cruel of me to mention an ironing board, so I didn't.

***

Anne (she of the recent tennis group) wrote to say that her wine arrived home intact (which pleased husband Mick), and to say that she lost her passport at check-in. Not lost in the strict sense of the word, but lost as in down into the bowels of the airport, on the luggage belt. The Gendarmes jumped on her to stop her following it, but found it in time for her to board the plane. As she said, "Thank goodness it wasn't Heathrow!"

***

Wild horses wouldn't have shifted me from in front of the television tonight. It was the Champions League final between Arsenal and Barcelona at the Stade de France in Paris. My friend Floyd set off this morning, without a ticket, to see if he could watch the match. When I asked him how much he was prepared to pay for a ticket (from a tout) he said about 150 euros. I heard on the news this morning that they were going for up to 2500 euros each so I think Floyd will have watched the match in some Parisian bar somewhere. For purely selfish reasons I hoped that Arsenal would win because Floyd trains it down tomorrow for a few days and he'll be like a bear with a sore head if Arsenal lose. I have warned him not to be miserable! Anyway, Arsenal lost 2-1 in an exciting match so I hope Floyd behaves himself.

No comments: