Wednesday, May 03, 2006

60 Million Frenchmen can't be wrong

I'm reading a really interesting book at the moment, Sixty Million Frenchmen Can't Be Wrong. Since moving here I have been surprised at a lot of what I have observed and I have tried to better understand French attitudes and customs. The book makes some very interesting observations. Anyway, so far there has been no mention of French driving and I could write a book on that alone. Take what happened the other day. Between here and Sommieres there is an ancient narrow bridge. I seem to remember that it is single file but naturally no one observes this edict and everyone treats it as two way. So there I was passing another car at about the halfway point, as happens all the time, when the opposing driver (with a 26 plate - Drome) seemed to get very upset that I was on the same bridge as him. Why he was angry is for him to know because there was ample room to pass each other, as indeed we did. What really pissed him off was that he had stopped his car in order to get out and have an argument with me and the driver following him (with a 13 plate - Marseille) ran into the back of him. I don't think that either of them were particularly happy when I burst out laughing. As the guy in the car from Marseille was showing more tattoo than skin, I didn't hang around to help them sort out their problem.

No comments: