Sunday, May 01, 2005

Languedoc Roussillon or Septimanie?

The President of the Conseil Regional of Languedoc Roussillon has, for some time, been advocating a name change for the region. He wants to change the name to Septimanie, the ancient Roman name that was used until the middle ages..

Prior to moving here I could not have placed LR or any of the other regions on a map of France. And I suspect that the same applies to the French knowledge of English counties. One side of me says, well, what does it matter, but then I also have to sympathise with the already hard pressed vignerons who have been working hard to put LR on the world wine map.

A recent television advert by Marks and Spencer talked, in hushed tones, about 'a gold medal Chardonnay from Languedoc Roussillon', the first time that I have heard the region mentioned outside of travel programmes.

Personally, I quite like the new name, but I suspect that a name change would only confuse and undermine the existing efforts at promoting this region.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmm

The Septimanie Page ?

Peter