Sunday, May 08, 2005

A right boring little horticulturalist

Rob will stay on for a couple of more days but today is the girls' last. Anne and Cilla go with me to Quissac to buy some bits for Jan. It's good to hear their enthusiasm for the countryside, because it's very easy to forget how nice it is, and reminds me of all the right decisions that we made when we first moved here. The sky is a beautiful deep blue, the temperature readout on the huge display on top of the pharmacie on the edge of Quissac says 18C which isn't bad for 8 o'clock in the morning. It's going to be another great day!

Today is another national holiday, the third so far this month, Fete de la Victoire 1945, which is VE Day to you and me. It means that the French will spend the day with friends and family, which is nice, but it also means that they leave their dogs chained up whilst they are away enjoying themselves. Some of these mutts howl and howl. It makes you want to throw some poisoned meat into their gardens, and then do something about the dog as well.


I never thought that I'd get enthusiastic about growing things. I'm turning into a right boring little horticulturalist. I spotted small caterpillars on some of the fruit trees today, so out with the insecticide to zap those pesky little critters. It's me or them, and I know who's going to win this one, even if it means the fruit is covered in nuclear fallout!

I'm not what you would call "green", more a deep shade of purple, especially if bugs get near my carefully tended fruit trees. I'd use a gun if it wouldn't make such a mess of the foliage! There I go again, showing off all my arborial vocabulary. (That's enough showing off - Ed.)

No comments: