Wednesday, July 19, 2006

You want a what!!

You'd think that being footloose and fancy free, your body would take advantage of the space and time and let you lie in a bit. Not mine. When Jan's around I can sleep forever, however when I'm on my own I wake and get up early and do lots of little jobs around the house. Which is a bit of a bummer.

***

The driver's door window on the Golf has not worked for a while so I popped into Nimes this morning to get it fixed. With a lot of sucking of air through their teeth they pronounce that the motor was spent and needed replacing. Great!
Whilst I have got the 'right hand drive' car in town I decided to go and get a Telepeage badge because they cost so little but are very useful when having to retrieve a ticket or pay at a motorway toll booth. My first mistake is to tell a somewhat hyper Madame that I already have a badge with Sanef (in the north of France) but that I want to take one out with her company Liberte. Well, she started to bollock me, saying 'that a customer could not have 2 badges from different companies' and 'that if I tried I would be found out and caught'. Unusually for me, I remained cool and slowly explained what I was trying to achieve and that I was not part of a criminal gang. Instead of calming her she got even more agitated and said that 'she was leaving this place forever, never to return, on Thursday', and proceeded to tell me how to beat the system, presumably so that she could earn some commission. By the time I left the office I was exhausted (it doesn't take much to tire you out - Ed.) and so when I got home I called my existing supplier and asked for another badge. (Why didn't you just do that in the first place? - Ed.)

***

Being a kind neighbour, I took an English translation of how to maintain their pool round to the Lloyds and was promptly rewarded with an invite to dinner. Grilled trout and grilled vegetables on the bbq. Very, very nice. It actually turned into a 'boys night in' because all the women left, before dinner, for the hospital to get a stitch in Katie's knee. But that's another story!

No comments: