Thursday, July 13, 2006

One horny dog

I woke with a start at midnight last night as I remembered that I had left the pool filling next door. Suitably clad in sandals and shorts (it's still bloody warm) I went next door to sort things out. Wouldn't you like a neighbour like me? (Yeah, one who allows the neighbour's pool to overflow - Ed.) Anyway, I went round first thing this morning to see if the flocculant had worked and wow, I can now see the bottom of the pool. It still needs more work but the end is now in sight. Thanks Pierre, how could I not share your confidence?


***

Talking about pools, they really are a great place to cool off. Ours cools to 27 C overnight and is back to a lovely 29 C by the afternoon. This is the sort of temperature that I like. No squealing as you get in and lower than body temperature so that it cools you nicely.
The weather forecast last night put our area on a level 3 alert (out of 4), and it hit 37 C again this lunch time. Evidently we're having la canicule - a heat wave or scorcher.


***

We needed to pop out this afternoon, so we left Max in the study with the shutters down but the doors open. It was hot and hopefully some air might blow through. Minnie was contained securely elsewhere. You can imagine our surprise when we returned home to find Max outside in the garden. He had forced his way out of the study by smashing through a big metal shutter. Thanks Max, another bill to pay, you horny sod! Our concern then was, had he got at Minnie? I rather unhelpfully suggested that if he had, we would have found him lying on his back smoking a cigarette. Jan was not amused.

***

Another, slightly more serious issue had been looming during the day, which we decided needed urgent attention. I have had renal cholic twice before and I had started to show a specific symptom. (Please, no details - Ed.) A trip to see Madame Doctor, produced a raft of anti-spasmodics and painkillers. When she asked what I had been given in the past, amongst other drugs I mentioned morphine injections. She brightened up and said "Oh, would you like one?" I declined because it wasn't necessary then, but she gave me some morphine tablets instead. You certainly get your money's worth when you visit a French doctor.

No comments: