Friday, July 14, 2006

This suppository is way too big to swallow


It's Bastille Day today, so Happy Bastilles to all you lucky people who have the day off. This picture, from today's celebrations in Paris, reminds me that our next door neighbour (who also happens to be English) served for 15 years in the Foreign Legion. A nice man but you wouldn't spill his beer!


***

The first bout of cholic pain hit at 02.30 this morning and then hit again, with a vengeance, at 06.15. Amongst other medicines, the doctor had given me some strong painkillers in the form of suppositories. (Oh purleese - Ed.) The question here is which is worse? The excruciating pain from your groin and kidney, or the sight of Jan walking towards you with a rubber gloved hand and an evil smile on her face. Trust me, it's a close run thing.



***

To add further misery, Max really is becoming a nuisance. God knows how he did it but he had clambered the back wall of the kennel still attached to a chain creating much destruction and mess along the way. I know that it's a long time ago but the urge to get your leg over was never as bad as this! (You've got a poor memory! - Ed.)

***

There was quite a bit on English breakfast news yesterday about neighbourliness. Issues like knowing your neighbours, talking to them and how the English had lost the ability to be friendly and polite to one another. This reminded me of the time that Jan and I were walking into the village and I nearly jumped out of my skin as I heard a little voice say "Bonjour Madame et Monsieur." I had so ignored this little girl that I didn't even register that she was there. This delightful young child had put us both to shame by acknowledging our presence and greeting us so politely. That incident acted as a wakeup call and somewhat changed my life. I now say hello to everybody young or old, even though I do get a few strange looks.

***

Desmond, Jean and Michael, Jan's cousins arrived today for a few days, and one of the first things they did was to jump into the pool. Minutes later we had a huge cloud burst. For dinner Jan cooked figs with a blue cheese and honey dressing and vegetable couscous. We're dealing with a vegetarian family here.

No comments: