Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Weight transfer mystery

Off to see the optician this morning. Because I have diabetes, regular eye checks are important. Dr C is very thorough and puts me through the ropes. Part of the test involves dilating my pupils which makes driving in strong sunlight intolerable. The lovely Jan had agreed to accompany me and drove us back home. Yet another favour I owe her!

***

In tennis terms, weight transfer generally refers to shifting one's weight from the back foot to the front foot. What I'm talking about is something much more mysterious. Like how come my watch, which I wear on my left wrist, is getting looser but my pants are getting tighter? How is the fat from my left wrist transferring to my stomach? One of life's little mysteries.

***

Floyd leaves this afternoon, so guess what, I get another trip to the airport at Montpellier. Yippee! However, the upside is that on the way back I pass Domaine des Hospitaliers and buy a couple of boxes of their delicious oak aged merlot. Very reasonable at 5 euros a bottle. Next I pop into Domaine Costeplane because we have run out of rosé. Vincent is, as ever, very hospitable and lets me try his chardonnay which has been in the cuve for just 9 days. It was very sweet, almost like a cloudy pressed apple drink, and I would have been happy to drink it like that. Françoise, meanwhile, is preparing sanglier, wild boar, and very smelly it all was. The smell in the kitchen was almost overpowering. She described the taste as more like beef than pork, and a very strong beef taste at that. What was even more interesting was that Vincent had opened bottles of his 1993 and 1995 Cabernet Sauvignon which he was going to put into the pot with the sanglier. When I looked surprised, he said that the sanglier would need a good wine to bring out the flavour. One of the benefits of making your own wine, I suppose.

No comments: