Sunday, August 07, 2005

Getting the bug again?

I spent the major part of my early life in consumer finance working for an American bank. After quite a significant midlife crisis, I spent the next few years as a professional tennis coach, which is what I was doing immediately before we moved to France. By the time we moved to France I'd had enough of coaching and even playing tennis, so contrary to my normal behaviour, I gave an early morning tennis lesson this morning. In fact I'm starting to enjoy tennis again.

***

I nip to Quissac to buy bread for a barbecue at lunch time. The bread from the shop on the corner next to the traffic lights is always very interesting, and today I bought two pain a la figues and one paillasse aux cereales. The bread with figs is scrumptious with cheese, and the other is wonderful anytime. I particularly like this shop because they are always experimenting with new recipes. It beats Tesco every time and, more to the point, every bread shop around here!

***

OK, fifteen for lunch, so Jan makes a range of salads, and I cook chicken, porc brochettes with peppers and apricots, sausages and lamb steaks on the barbecue. A tour de force, all succulent juicy meat, timed to perfection and not a salmonella in sight. Needless to say the meat is a wow and Jan gets a silver medal for her salads. Methinks that I must start to put more efforts into salads, and help Jan!
(Listen smart arse, you need to worship at her altar - Ed.)

No comments: