Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Home to Aix-en-Provence

I'’m glad we visited Aix; it's a very attractive town. Lots of people had told us that it was an interesting place to visit and they were right. Whilst there's a lot to see and do, we only intended to stay a short time, so apart from looking at the myriad of small shops (it'’s a bit of a shoppers'’ paradise) we only visited the cathedral. The town has a very, very nice feel and I suspect that we will visit again for a longer look (or shop).


***

The drive from Aix towards our final destination, La Cadiere d'’Azur, was extremely pretty, especially as we hit the coast at Baie de la Ciotat.

***

La Cadiere, with little narrow streets, perched on a hilltop with stunning views, was beautiful as well, and I couldn'’t help but feel that Jan had done it again. The hotel, Hostellerie de Bérard, is interesting because it is full of old-world charm and is actually spread over five separate buildings in the town. If I have a criticism, our bedroom could have been a bit bigger, as could the bed, but hey, we were on a cheap deal, so no complaining Hampshire. But in reality, this hotel is merely an excuse for the restaurant. What a find! I know I use a lot of superlatives, but here I had one of the best meals of my life. The menus started at 28 euros right up to 106 euros. We settled for the 45 euros menu and what an excellent choice it was. I can'’t start to describe the food because it was so interesting and elaborate but suffice to say that we both cleared our plates of each of the four courses, helped down with a bottle or two of excellent local wine and topped off with a couple of glasses of sweet red, as recommended by Madame. Absolutely superb.

No comments: