Tuesday, August 09, 2005

A calming influence



Max behaved very oddly last night. After leaving him to go to sleep, as normal, we could hear him scrabbling to get out of the study. Left to his own devices he was either going to break the door and shutter, or burrow his way out. He was very, very agitated. I told him off. Five minutes later he was at it again. This time, I was less polite, more spitting blood, because I wanted to go to sleep. The third time, Jan took over, did the mumsy bit and stayed with him for about 30 to 40 minutes, whilst he calmed down. Strangely, he lay under her chair, in an agitated state, rather than trying to get out of the house. His behaviour was very different from normal and it almost seemed as though he was spooked from within the house rather than trying to get at something outside. We shall never know. Needless to say Jan was the star because she enabled me to get to sleep and soothed Max's troubled brow. She's my hero.

***

After an early morning tennis lesson (with Franck), I leave for Montpellier for a check up with the lovely Dr K, my nutritionist. This woman does nothing for my blood pressure. Again, she is dressed provocatively with a plunging neckline and to add a touch more frisson she is also wearing what looks like a school master's gown. I believe that she is going to 'tell me off' because I know that I have not been very good and the teacher's gown adds to that feeling. In fact, she gets my trousers off, and measures me, only to find that I have lost another kilo and one centimetre off my waist. This means that I have now lost 4 kilos (8.8 pounds) since 15th June . Whilst she appears to be moderately pleased, I'm delirious, how can I continue to behave like a slob and still lose weight? Her praise is worth its weight in gold and I shall try harder for the next appointment.

***

By way of a really nice treat, Bob and Lynne invite us for lunch at Apicius in St Mathieu de Treviers. This is an excellent restaurant and could well be my favourite. The food is excellent, very inventive and with a good range of reasonable local wines. It's a husband and wife effort, she being front of house and he in the kitchen. Next January, a close friend, and 7 others from the UK, are going to fly out specifically for lunch with us, and then fly back the next day, I'm seriously thinking of taking them there. Unbeknown to us, Bob took the pictures above in the restaurant. Whilst Jan looks gorgeous, don't you think I'm looking slimmer?

1 comment:

Coleman Enterprizes Desk said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.