Tuesday, August 05, 2008

You want some tax back?


I have very simple tax affairs and recently realised that I've been paying too much tax. Not a fortune, but still too much. I wrote to HMRC in May and received a form. This I completed and returned. Since then, effectively nothing has happened, so today I got on the phone and tried contacting them that way. What a mess they are in. I'm kept holding for at least 30 minutes (I'm stubborn like that) to be told that I have to ring another number, to be told that I have to ring another number but that she would transfer my call. I was cut off. I was on the phone for nearly an hour and got absolutely nowhere.

Steaming mad I shot off an email. I felt better.

The next day a very nice lady called, had me eating out of her hand, and explained that my file was being passed around departments and its target department were snowed under with work. She gave me a direct line to call so that I could chivvy them along.

I've always said, just give me the information, good or bad, and I can deal with it. What's frustrating is not knowing anything and then letting your imagination start to work. (Not good in your case - Ed). I'll keep plugging away.

No comments: