Saturday, May 24, 2008

Domaine Costeplane


With guests coming tomorrow I popped over to Domaine Costeplane, here in the village, to buy some rosé. Françoise and Vincent are a great couple. They're bio champions and advocates and very nice people. I'd already been told that the rosé was good and so it proved. This is the fifth consecutive year that we have decided that their rosé is our rosé of choice. They just get better and better. I'd also been told that because they lost 40% of their production last year through mildew, they had no Vermentino, but that the unoaked Chardonnay was good. It was.
Both oidium and mildew are problems again this year and the vignerons are spraying like crazy. Over a cup of tea I sympathised with Françoise and Vincent and commiserated with them about the loss of production last year. 'Ah,' said a philosophical Françoise, 'but if you never have a poor year how can you ever have a good year.'
That shut me up!

No comments: