Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Where did all the weight go

We leave for Montpellier today for a follow-up visit with my nutritionist Dr K. I am not looking forward to the impending chastisement because I have not been too good really. We are slowly starting to change our eating habits, but with all the visitors we've had recently, I am still eating and drinking far too much. It should, however, be easier from now on because we have more time on our own and can try a little harder. The one bright note is the thought of what Dr K will be wearing today and whether my blood pressure can take the starin (the last word was mistyped and is meant to read strain but I didn't correct it because I think it is actually more appropriate as starin).
Anyway, we get there and she asks me to take my trousers off (note - I only have a cough), she measures my bits, and tells me that everything is shrinking and then weighs me to find that I have lost 3 kilos. She must be joking, where did it all go? How did it all go? This is mysterious because I don't feel that I have done anything special. In fact, I have probably drunk more than usual. Who cares, she seems happy and that makes me happy. So it's time for a celebration and we look for a restaurant on the way back.

***

We found an excellent new restaurant, Restaurant Apicius, 266 av L Mancel, St Mathieu de Treviers, 0467 55 37 97, right on the main road through the town. The menu du jour was 18 euros but we chose the menu express (lunch times only) at 29 euros off the carte. We both started with cold Baudroie (monkfish to you and me)), steam cooked and with three additional sauces, fresh almond (surprisingly nice), broad bean (surprisingly awful, but Jan liked it) and a light tomato gaspacho. For my second course, I had tuna, cooked perfectly on a bed of shitake mushrooms with an excellent side dish of saffron risotto, and Jan had pieces of veal, again perfectly cooked with a mousseline of peas and braised artichokes. All of it first class. The home made bread was excellent. The cheapest four course evening menu was 39 euros, the next (five course) at 60 euros and the most expensive, "selon l'idee de Ludovic Dziewulski" (whatever the hell that is) at 82 euros. Go there, you won't be disappointed.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Having been known as 'Dr K' for nearly 10 years now, I cannot BEGIN to tell you how much this weirds me out.
{shudder}