Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Fries with everything

Fiddling about last night, I managed to rig up Jan's computer with an old modem. I connected her to the internet using the Sagem USB modem supplied by Wanadoo when we first signed up. Needless to say, it looks like there is not a problem with the line but that my Netgear Modem Router has been the cause of my problems. The NMR does seem to get very hot when I connect it to power, so I can't help but feel that this must be connected with the problem. We shall see.

***

Mr France Telecom showed up this morning unannounced. I joked and said that I didn't know that he was coming. He joked and said that he didn't know either. He was very helpful, and spent time checking the line which I'd already figured was not at fault. In the end we got my computer working on its own which confirmed that fact.


***

A quick trip to Nimes to buy a new modem and hey presto, the network works and we are back on line again. I also take the precaution of buying a surge protector (Chris, I know you said it ages ago) which will protect not only the computer equipment but also the modem. As a matter of interest would anyone with an external modem be kind enough to check the temperature of said equipment, and maybe post a comment, because the new one is also running very hot as well. This doesn't seem right. I will also post the same question here because there are some very knowledgeable people who I'm sure will give me the right answer.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Don't remember the brand but someone else has posted about a similar problem on drkeyboard.net.