Thursday, April 21, 2005

There's nothing wrong with being lucky

Asparagus has just come into season and it is grown locally. We love the stuff, and so nip down to a producer in the village. He is selling big fat fingers, cut fresh this morning, for 4 euros per kilo, as opposed to the supermarkets where it is sold for 6 euros a kilo. We buy a couple of kilos, which will make quite a few meals and lots of soup. Yummy. I hope that we don't get tired of it too soon!

Rob called last night and confirmed that he is coming out, with a group of 5 women, in a couple of weeks time. As usual, Rob leaves everything until the last minute, and so rang off to book his flight. At this late stage, I fully expect that the cost of the flight will be prohibitive and that he will ring back and renege.

He calls a little later and confirms that he has booked a flight with Ryanair
www.ryanair.com for under a pound each way - lucky or what? The total cost, with all the so called taxes, comes to £35. It will also cost him an additional £70 in petrol and car parking charges, double his return fare from London to the South of France. Just crazy, but reminds me of this.......

Napoleon was once asked whether he preferred courageous generals or clever generals. "Neither", he replied; "I prefer lucky generals every time".

I have known Rob for about 15 years. He was my tennis coaching partner after I moved from a 25 year career in consumer finance into the glamorous world of tennis coaching. I believed that he was the best tennis coach in Berkshire and I needed to learn how to teach tennis. I suggested a partnership using my business skills and his tennis skills. It worked well and we had lots of laughs, lots of luck and a lot of success along the way. We were a very good team.

No comments: