Saturday, April 16, 2005

Houston - we have TV

Freddy, the TV man from Gitem in Anduze, calls. Can he come today instead of next Tuesday? I can hardly get the words out fast enough. Within 20 minutes he arrives, I explain the problem, it's raining, but he still shins up a ladder and sticks his nose above the roof.

"I know what it is", he says, and slides down the ladder. I look baffled (but then I usually do!), I said, "how can you tell with such a cursory glance?" What I actually said was "how do you know?", because 'cursory glance' is French lesson 49, and I'm still on lesson 6. He patted the side of his nose.

It turns out that he could see that the LNB, the bit on the end of the arm in the middle of the satellite dish, is broken, and within 20 minutes, he has replaced it. I call Houston and tell them to stop worrying, our problems are solved!


I saw this today and just loved it - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4449651.stm The world needs lots more people like this.

We try a new restaurant tonight, Le Fourneaux de Clelia in Aigremont. It's right in the middle of this small village, and you would never find it unless told about it. A friend recommended it. The dining room was attractive and they also had a big terrace which will be pleasant in summer. They have one 29 euros menu with a choice from three for each course. I could have chosen any of the courses, they sounded so good. Being hyper critical, the food promised a little more than it delivered, but I would still recommend it. The wine list was comprehensive, with a good selection of reasonably priced local wines. We will definitely go back.

No comments: