Wednesday, December 20, 2006

A trip to the vet


William and Peter turned up for tennis yesterday morning as agreed. We weren't able to play the day before because of wind (no fart jokes please - Ed.) but this morning was sunny and cold. Cold enough for me to wear a hat and a left glove until I got warmed up. Despite my hacking cough, I was in good form and won the majority of my games. The leader board currently reads GB 12, Fr 9 and Cz 8. That's more like it.

***

My trip to the vet with Minnie this morning was good fun. It was her annual vaccination and, as we sat and waited our turn, a heavily pregnant lady entered. I pointed out to her that maybe she had made a mistake because the doctor's surgery was next door. She didn't seem too amused but the man sitting next to me thought it was funny.
Talking about waiting, in my experience, the French seem to have no concept of giving service to people waiting at a counter and will take new phone calls and/or plough on with existing phone conversations as if no one else existed. Take this morning for example, there were four of us waiting patiently whilst the harassed receptionist had to hand hold a phone enquirer about the use of some drugs. She had to keep repeating the names of drugs and the order in which they should be given. After ten minutes, when we are all shuffling our feet, I said in a loud voice to all the people hanging around, "I'm English, and even I understand the instructions!" Ah well, it calmed everybody down.
Minnie behaved well and got lots of admiring comments. When all is said and done she has very good antecedents and is a very fine example of her breed. (More than can be said for you - Ed.) As we were leaving, a man who may have been single and not too sure about the ways of the flesh came in and asked the vet to accompany him outside because he thought his dog might be pregnant. Why he didn't bring the dog in baffled everyone waiting but, more to the point, the poor guy seemed very unsure when asked if the dog had grown fat slowly or had it come on suddenly. Good fun.
***
Just before I posted this piece, Jan complained that the picture above was not an actual one of us playing tennis. I had to point out to my beloved that the picture was supposed to be representative. That we do not have acres of grass courts and, the last time I looked, none of us was black. Bless.

No comments: