Saturday, December 23, 2006

A Lidl bit better


When he had finished yesterday, I gave Michel a few bottles of wine as a Christmas thank you for all the work he has done for us this year. I stared at him a little blankly when he asked if we ate gibier. I nodded and smiled in my usual pathetic way when I don't fully understand something, so, not to be outdone, he rushed home and came back with a rabbit and a hare that he had recently shot. At least I now know what he meant by gibier, game. I'd mixed the word up with gesier, gizzard, and had visions of Jan trying to look pleased as he handed over some animal innards. Phew. Having said that I'm not sure if Jan has ever cooked rabbit and I know for sure she has never cooked hare. Could be interesting.
If you'd like a funny image, imagine Jan trying to stuff two long, frozen hard animals into an otherwise very full freezer. She did it, but she came back a little red in the face!
***
As it's the last Saturday before Christmas, you'd expect the roads and shops to be very busy. Far from it. We went as far as Montpellier and found everywhere very quiet. I even popped into Lidl to get Jan a Christmas present and that was quiet as well. Lidl is amazing, it's an Aladdin's cave of things that you never knew you needed. The one near Sommieres has recently been remodeled and has several aisles of goodies. I bought Jan a screwdriver set for 7 euros, a flannelette nightie for 5 euros (I don't mind paying a little extra for good quality) and an extendable paintbrush for those awkward little places. They even have clothes for sale and from now on I'm going to be dressed by 'Man at Lidl.'

No comments: