Sunday, December 31, 2006

A good year

Bryan, Peter, Jan and I were at our usual haunt in the Sommieres market yesterday morning. It was easy to tell who had had visitors for a long time over Christmas. They just couldn't stop talking. On the other hand, Jan and I had visitors on Christmas day and that was it. So we just sat and listened. (You have never sat and listened in all your life - Ed.) Unfortunately we probably sat, drank and listened a bit too long because I had a huge headache later in the afternoon.

***

The Lloyds got back from their six hour journey into Spain yesterday evening and then came round for dinner. Jan had cooked the hare that Michel gave us the other day and jolly good it was too. Non of us were big game eaters but it was a compliment to Jan that we cleared our plates. After I had jointed it (actually chopped it into pieces with a cleaver) Jan marinated it for about 30 hours in wine and vegetables and then casseroled it. It was tasty, succulent and moist. Good effort Jan, but game will never be our first choice. The next problem is to know what to do with all that's left. There are another two meals and I'm definitely not going to eat game for the next few days.

***

It's New Years Eve. As I reflect over the past year, I have only good memories. Jan and I had lots of fun and not too many problems. Our children are all settled and into their careers and we have two lovely grandchildren. Life is good, and our heartfelt thanks to everyone who helped make it pleasurable.

No comments: