Friday, December 08, 2006

Cara



This morning we drove over to Windsor to see Robert Mac at Mailboxes etc. We know and love Robert well and use his business as a private mailbox particularly when we want items, ordered on the internet in France, to be either held for collection in England or forwarded to France when the business won't deliver. After using his computer to locate a wifi hotspot I finished up at cafe Nero in the Royal Station from where I am posting these words. The wonders of modern science.


***


I met Rob (not to be confused with Robert above) at his club Stoke Park (above). This is a very nice club with both indoor carpet and beautiful grass tennis courts. Historically, Rob and I have met for a curry and a few pints of Cobra on Fridays. We decided to relive this tradition today. Memories of India, The Broadway, Farnham Common, Bucks 01753 644166, is the best Indian restaurant that I have visited for a long time. We arrived at 13.30 and the place was empty (not usually a good sign) but we had the undivided attention of all the waiters and the whole kitchen. No wonder the food was good!


***


A very important part of this trip to England for me was to meet my daughter Cara, who I hadn't seen for 9 months. She was in good form, the best I have ever seen. Her life mostly revolves around her business life (she works for a large software house) and it was good to see her getting on so well. You know that she is doing well when she offers to buy dinner! My little girl, buying me dinner brought a lump to my throat. Sniff. We ate in Reading at a 'gastro pub', Bel and the Dragon, Gas Works Road, 0118 951 5790. Despite the huge number of Christmas parties the service was excellent and the food well cooked and imaginative. It was difficult to choose. Go there, you won't be disappointed.
What a lovely day. Seeing Cara after such a long time and two rather good meals.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Bel and the dragon.. that's where we are having the office xmas bash... probably will not be a brick left standing after we've done with it...