Monday, October 24, 2005

Toys R Us

Another great night's sleep. I suspect that the 'little one' wore us out yesterday. Being gluttons for punishment, we arrange to take her out for the afternoon today, whilst her parents do their thing. It's pouring with rain, so we hot foot to an indoor play complex. There was nothing like this when I was a child. We had to make do with the great outdoors, our imaginations and like minded friends. This place is huge, with exciting things to climb and play on, all in padded safety, a bit like a huge padded lunatic cell. The noise level was unfortunately a little like sitting in an aircraft hanger whilst they test the engines. A bit over the top, but hey, what are grandparents for if not to put up with this rubbish? Maisie was great, I stuffed her with chocolate (I know, I'm not a responsible gp), but we handed her back shortly after, and her parents can deal with the fall out. And so on to our next stop, Toys R Us, for a little more spoiling. That's what being a grandparent is all about.
(Hmnnn, we need to chat - Ed.)

***

James is nothing if not competitive, so Jan and I get roped into a pub quiz tonight, but before we go, we get to tick off the last of our 'must do' meals, an Indian curry. The Bay Leaf, 104 Western Road, Brighton, 01273 773804, fills that spot beautifully. Service was a little slow, but the food was good and a little above the norm for an Indian restaurant. Recommended.
The quiz was held at the Lion and Lobster pub nearby. We joined a team of, mostly, lecturers from Sussex University. Question - how many Doctors does it take to win a pub quiz? Answer - a lot more than we had. We came fifth!
In the good old days I used to enjoy visiting pubs but nowadays I find the noise and, more importantly, the smoke gets to me and I hate my clothes and hair smelling of stale cigarette smoke. (All you ex smokers are the same - Ed.)

No comments: