Monday, October 10, 2005

Max and Min

We intend to visit Max's dog breeder next Monday, on our way back to the UK. On the remote (certain) possibility that we will chose a female companion for Max (above, in his usual elegant pose). We have decided to call her (the mythical dog) Amina. Amina because she will have to have a name starting with the letter A (see previous postings), and also because we can shorten it to Min. So then we have Max and Min - geddit? I would have preferred Asbo which is an acronym for an Anti Social Behaviour Order, however, Jan pointed out that that would have been a better name for Max. Whatever.

***

This morning, William and I play tennis, whilst Jan went off to her art class. I know which I prefer. I was serving well, tried very hard and basically kicked his butt, however, I suffered with a lot of aches and pains for the rest of the day. Ouch. As I suffer, I remember that I meet the nutritionist on Friday so it's all in a good cause. In keeping with this looming deadline, Jan prepared two salads for lunch. The first a beetroot and cumin salad and the other, an old favourite, bean sprouts and peppers with a very tangy and tasty dressing. For all you foodies out there, this how you make the dressing:

Zap all these ingredients in a liquidizer:

Half a teaspoon of ground ginger
Half a small onion, finely chopped
6 Fluid ounces of olive or groundnut oil
2 Fluid ounces of red wine vinegar
2 Tablespoons of soy sauce
A small stalk of celery, finely chopped
2 Teaspoons of tomato puree
2 Teaspoons of lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste

This should produce a liquid dressing that is quite thick and tangy. It has a strong flavour so it will overpower delicately flavoured food. I reckon that it could also be used as a marinade. Play around with the ingredients to suit your taste.

No comments: