Thursday, December 02, 2010

Efficient French bureaucracy


As most of you probably know the Control Technique (MOT) for a car is done every two years here in France (yes, we're in FRANCE Jean). The centre that I use in Quissac normally writes to me and warns me that it's due, which is a good system and one on which I have relied over the years.


Well this year they didn't, and I didn't find out that I had a problem until I was having the Golf serviced and the mechanic pointed out that it had expired.


'It can't have,' I said.


'Oh yes it has,' he said. And he was right.


So I was getting the CT done yesterday in Quissac and I mentioned to the tester that they hadn't written to me as normal. 'Oh, we had a problem with the software,' he said.


More like you were trying to save money I said (to myself.)


Still, he passed the car so he's not all bad.


Whilst I was sitting there it dawned on me that I had no idea when the Jeep was due so I asked him to check. 'Oh that's expired as well,' he said.


So I'm back there again this afternoon. The moral of the story is, there is no such thing as efficient French bureaucracy, but then you already knew that didn't you? It's back to making notes in the diary!

2 comments:

Craig said...

I did the same thing last year in France with our VW - didn't realize that the due date had passed. It's a good thing that they don't fine you for missing the deadline.

mpprh said...

"there is no such thing as efficient French bureaucracy"

I've found the French system is pretty good when you get a fixed penalty ticket.

Peter