Friday, June 29, 2007

Sweet revenge


The most satisfying thing that happened today was that William and I crushed the 'young upstarts', 6-0 in the first set and 6-4 in the second. Just for the total avoidance of doubt, just in case they started to get too cocky! It's a pity that I won't be there Monday, because I wanted to hear them squeal. Yup, that feels better. OK, so I know I'm being childish, but I needed revenge.

***

The reason that we won't be there on Monday is because we left for a few days in the UK this afternoon. When we booked the flights, I seem to remember that Ryanair was expensive, so, because we were going to Brighton, Marseilles to Gatwick seemed like the sensible option. We opted for EasyJet out of Marseille's new 'low cost' terminal, MP2. Low cost because it was built specifically for the low cost airlines. Part of the 'low cost' experience for us travellers is that after you have checked in your bags you have to carry them a further 20 metres or so before they disappear into the bowels of the airport. Frankly I'm surprised that in a project of this magnitude they omitted 20 metres of rubber belting. But then what do I know?
Anyway, you may remember Steve from a couple of posts ago, who was reading this rubbish in Mexico, well, there he was on his way to Mumbai, (Bombay when I was a boy). It was great to see him again and we had lots of laughs.
Because the weekend was forecast to be pretty wet we decided to hire a car rather than rely on public transport around Brighton. First stop was the Avis desk to see if they had a Daewoo Matiz or something not quite so exciting. "Sorry mate, no cars at all," said Mr Avis, so then it was on to Hertz. I quite like Hertz and generally have a good experience with them. "What have you got that is small, perfectly put together and won't cost me a fortune?" I said. He looked knowingly at me and confirmed that I was actually looking for a car. After lots of humming and haaing Mr Hertz came up with a Fiesta for £195.00. I was sort of thinking of hiring it for a few days rather than buying it I whined and, after a bit of negotiating, I got him down to £125.00. That's £70.00 that would pay for dinner. Still, it was a nice car and got us to Brighton and Murasaki cafe in time for my favourite sushi.
After a sumptuous Japanese feast, it was back to the flat to see if I could get an Internet connection. I turned the wireless roaming on, on the laptop, and would you believe that I found an unencrypted connection (thank you Micky - whoever you are ) and, stuffed full of plum wine, started to pound away on the old laptop. Shlurp!

No comments: