Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Mama mia



Talking about Italian Mamas, mum was lying on the settee having a nap and, being woken by me, jumped up when she saw me hoovering. "Whata are you a doing?" she said incredulously (you didn't know that I could write in Italian). You have to bear in mind that mum is an old fashioned mama and that I had entered very firmly into female territory. As an aside, when at my auntie's house in Italy, I am always served first at meal times. It's a way of life that is very easy to get used to. OK, I suspect that there are a few feminist hackles stirring out there, but bon courage my feminist friends, I finished the hoovering then took her a cup of tea.

***

So Jan was ringing for an appointment at a consultant in Nîmes and the secretary asked, "Can you make Thursday 28th?" Jan, looking at her diary, said, "The 28th isn't a Thursday." Until she realised that they were talking about this month and not next. It was in fact in 2 days time. Funny how you get conditioned to thinking that appointments have to be a least a month away.
***
Mum left this morning on Ryanair's flight to Liverpool and the subsequent 2 hour journey to Harrogate. The slight worry was the disruption that the rain was causing in the UK and whether her lift would arrive on time. Anyway, she was sorely missed by Jan and I, and by the dogs, whom she had spoilt rotten.
***
When we got back to Nîmes from the airport, with a couple of hours to kill, we decided to have lunch at le Danieli, Place d'Assas, 0466 360666. We had eaten there a couple of times when we first arrived in France, and didn't have much of a memory of the place, so decided to try it again. It offers much in the way of ambience and menu but basically it fails to deliver. The food is at best mediocre and the wine is over priced. It's a great pity because there is lots about the place which is good. Hey ho, can't win em all.

No comments: