Thursday, October 19, 2006

What's that lethal looking thing in your hand?


Today was a bit of a nothing day. It was blowing a storm and wasn't the sort of weather to go out in. Having said that, I had been told that for tomorrow's expedition I would need a knife, so off to Quissac I went. They like knives here, and I have always been impressed with the range on offer at the market in Sommieres. Now I had a genuine excuse to buy one and Jan couldn't argue. It must be the hunter in me, don't you know. The droguerie in Quissac had a good selection, mostly hunting type knives which would come in handy for skinning all the animals that I was going to catch! The hunting culture in France is very strong and they think nothing of selling lethal weapons. If I was to try to buy the same thing in England it would probably involve a lie detector test, confirmation of good standing from some child molesting priest, and a certificate from a psychiatrist (you've got one of those already - Ed.) Anyway, I settled on a lethal, olive wood handled, long, thin bladed jobbie, made by Opinel, with its own leather pouch and a tiny 'steel', which the middle aged lady shop assistant told me was essential to keep the knife sharp. The Museum of Modern Art in New York City has chosen to include Opinel Knives in its display of one of the 100 most beautiful objects in the world. I didn't have the heart to tell her that all I was going to do was pick a few mushrooms. OK, so now I'm a real hunter!

No comments: