Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Dire Straits







Into Nîmes this afternoon for various bits, and in the process we walked through lots of the old part of town that we had never visited before. The more we explore 'old Nîmes' the more we like it. Wonderful buildings with wonderful doorways and pretty balconies. The obvious attractions are the Maison Carré, the quay and the arene, but there is so much more. It's a real treat. This site has some interesting shots of the town.
***
Whilst looking for the pictures above, I came across a poster for the band Dire Straits playing at the arene in Nîmes. This reminded me of the time when I'm sitting in an office with someone and a third person entered the room with an application for a loan of £30,000. The applicant was a very famous member of the band. Band members were notoriously bad risks, and the person that I was with, having looked at the loan application, said, "Sorry but I'm not approving a loan for him." The chap that had brought the application into the room said, "But sir, he's in Dire Straits." My friend said, "I don't care what kind of a mess he's in, I'm not lending him £30,000." True story.

No comments: