Monday, June 26, 2006

I can't see why she isn't attracted to me

Whilst Jan went off to her art class this morning, I had an even nicer time doing bugger all. I could get good at this. In order to get a bit of air circulating whilst I played with a new camera (a Nikon Coolpix L4 - seeing as you asked) I opened the window. The noise from the cicadas was deafening. Talk about background traffic noise. One of the reasons why we moved away from England was to avoid the din. I really noticed how powerful the noise from cicadas can be when we were at Tyroliane last Saturday. We were leaving, and as we closed the car doors we shut the sound out. Instant peace and quiet. It was quite remarkable. OK, so what's the upside of the noise they make? Well, the males, who make the noise to attract a female, might get laid (I've tried it lads, and it doesn't work) or warmer weather. They tend to emerge in this part of the world when temperatures remain constant at 25C or over and it has been doing that for some time now. In fact today is the sixth day with temperatures at 32C or more.

***

I've had to keep this quiet, being privy to affairs of State, but my sometime tennis partner William Seguin has announced that he is standing for election to the Conseil Général, because the incumbent Christophe Bouchet has died. William is presently the maire of our village, président de la Communaté de communes Coutach Vidourle and vice président de l'association des Maires du Gard. Hungry for even more power, he has decided to stand for even higher office. I'm not too sure if we can vote in this election, which takes place on the 2nd and 9th of July (don't ask, I don't know why there are two dates), anyway, if we can we will because he is an extremely nice man, has a great sense of humour, regularly has coffee here and might one day be Président de la République. Watch me name drop then, mes braves!

***

The rest of the day was spent either in the pool, watching a poor Italian performace against an attractive Australian side or eating. I do most of these things extremely well!

No comments: