Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Chez JuJu revisited (again)

Jan had a funny look in her eyes and was looking a bit lively this morning. When I noticed the date, I understood why. It was the sign of the beast, 6/6/6. Crumbs. On a much lighter note, this made me laugh. I quite like him, but I suppose that when I was younger he was a bit non u.

***

By way of a treat, we took James and Pauline to Chez JuJu for lunch today. James, who until recently was totally vegetarian, will now eat fish (which is just as well at a fish restaurant - Ed.) and the choice, like last time, was sea bass or turbot. Jan and I started with tellines, smothered in aioli, delicious but I could still taste it 6 hours later. If you don't like garlic then this aioli is not for you. I was feeling a bit mischievous (that's not like you - Ed.) and, as Madame deboned the fish, I asked her if she made the aioli or she bought it. She nearly jumped out of her skin and promptly gave us the recipe. Frankly I'm not convinced. Anyway, Jan and I had turbot and James and Pauline had sea bass. Both were perfectly cooked, as usual, in the outdoor wood burning oven. James was very brave, because even after Madame had deboned his fish, she left it head first towards him, with its eyes popping and its mouth gaping. Who's a big brave boy? An excellent meal.

***

We made a small detour on the way back to look at the flamingoes in this very remote part of the Camargue and, as we were about to leave, a chap came striding towards us seeking assistance. In the distance you could see that his wife had driven the front right hand wheel into a big hole, to the extent that the left rear wheel was high in the air, the car was beached and could not easily be moved. I was now in my element because I love these sorts of problems. A quick recce determined that if we could get the car level and could find a tow rope then we could pull it out. Along came a German family, who had the rope, we filled the back left hand side of the car with people, including one or two in the boot, got the car level and then gently pulled it free. An excellent example of International cooperation. This could be turned into a film. Marlon Brando could play me (don't be stupid, he's way too thin, and dead!- Ed.)
Full of bonhommie and looking for another major international incident to resolve, we drove round to Salin de-Giraud, crossed the Rhône by ferry and drove back a slightly different way. There were no more problems to be solved. Damn.

No comments: