Wednesday, December 14, 2005

The Max and Minnie show

I overheard this conversation this morning.

Max. Hey Min, have you seen the new bed we've got?

Min. Nahh, beds are boring.

Max. Yeah, but look at the size, we can both get in comfortably.

Min. Ok, lets try it.

Max. You lay there like that and I'll put my arm around you. Isn't that more comfortable? At least I'll get a good night's sleep now.

Min. Mnnn, that's nice. I see what you mean. It's real cosy.

Max. Min??

Min. Yeah.

Max. Just exactly how old did you say you are?

***

The morning is spent preparing for the arrival of a new fridge and cooker. Moving the old to make way for the new, always involves more than you bargain for. Moving the old fridge into a room in the garage meant cleaning and reorganising that room and then realising that the fridge wouldn’t quite go where we wanted it, so we have to change things round again. Great fun – not. Jan also takes the opportunity to clean the old fridge which means we have to find room for all the frozen stuff elsewhere. Am I boring you yet? Anyway, Jan and I have to lift and move quite a large fridge from the house to the garage (yes boys, she's really strong). We will keep all the summer drinks cold out there and use the two house fridges mainly for food. Do you get the impression that maybe we eat too much? The real reason however, is that when we have guests, (for example we have an extra 16 at Christmas) there never seems to be enough room to store food. Problem solved. You want food? We got food!

***


Our internet connection went down late yesterday and yet again I feel lost. It’s only when it’s down that I realise how much I have come to depend on it for mail, news and other contact with the world. Sad or what?

***


All the white/brown goods arrived as agreed this afternoon and Jan cooked her first meal on the new cooker. We placed the old stove on the kitchen terrace with a view to using it outside. This will be very useful at Christmas, when Jan is juggling with places to cook things. With ten gas rings and two huge ovens she can now cook for an army, or me. Someone mentioned that I'm obsessed with food, rather like an elderly person who's always wondering what the next meal will be. How observant!

No comments: