Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Is that a ferret in your trousers?



Now that it looks like Yorkshire will eventually be our new home I've started elocution lessons for Jan.


She may have an A level in English but she only ever uses southern poofter type words and phrases so I've got a challenge on my hands to get her to talk properly.


Today we started with simple stuff. I started by explaining what a ferret is and how this word will be used in everyday speech.


I had to explain the meaning of 'nowt' and 't'mill' and the meaning of 'eebagum'.


I have to say that she caught on quickly and we agreed that I'd give her some everyday words each morning and she'd have to incorporate them into a sentence by the end of the day.


Today's words were 'bairn' (child), 'beck' (brook), 'biggerstang' (scaffold pole - a bit more advanced) and 'wang' (throw). Today's phrase was 'put wood i'the'oil' (close the door).


We'll see how she gets on.

2 comments:

jan said...

Ecky thump...........there's nowt to it!

Craig said...

Please, make then stop. You still have time to change your mind Jan.