Thursday, October 11, 2007

Self control

Grief, the Spanish are noisy. And there I was thinking that the Italians had that honour. Watching the sunset last night from the 17th floor, amidst all the shouting and laughing, the wine flowed. A group of about 12 of us got stuck into the local stuff with the result that I emptied the minibar of anything vaguely thirst quenching at regular intervals through the night. If only I could learn to say, 'no', 'stop', 'I've had enough', or even remember to sink a pint of water before bed. Tonight's cocktail party will be a real test of my self control (I think we know the answer to that one, don't we? - Ed)

We didn't go far today, not that you have very far to go on this island. The scenery can best be described as lunar. The whole island, as far as I can see, is covered in volcanic ash and very little natural vegetation grows. The only things that grow have been planted and between and beyond those plants everything is a reddish brown, as far as the eye can see.

Lunch in nearby Costa Teguise consisted of peperoncinos de padrone and grilled dorade. Oh, and yes, a bottle of wine. Look I knew this wasn't going to be easy. Please help. We need encouragement and help, not sour looks and tutting.

No comments: