Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Holidays and hair

It's Toussaints, 'All Saints Day' (sort of dedicated to me) and a national holiday here in France. Not bad for a so called secular state that forbids all signs of religion in its public offices or schools. Oh well, it's about time we had another day off, we only had 5 in May, none in June, only 1 in July, 1 in August and none in September or October, so I'm in need of a break.

***

Once or twice a week I sweep the floors to clear up Max's dog hair. (Ooooo, you modern man you - Ed.) It's particularly bad in the study, where he sleeps. So there I am this morning, clearing up his hair, when I start to think what it is about Max that irritates me. The final conclusion is that it's only his dog hair, and because we have tiled floors, that's easily remedied. So there you have it Max, it's official, you are very welcome, you provide lots of companionship, unquestioning love (and disobedience) and a bit of dog hair. Thank you, I love you too.
By the way, he opened the back door again tonight by standing on his back legs and turning the handle with his front paw. In fact he did again later with another door.
***
It was a beautiful warm sunny day today but the ground was too wet to finish digging over the veg patch, so indoor jobs it was. We decide to clean the windows because as the sun shines through, it shows how (really) dirty they are. We have guests on Thursday for a few days and Jan, not wanting to show that she never does any housework (just kidding my precious), decides to use (that I should use) her new discovery, which she has recently purchased from John Lewis. It's a 'microfibre' cloth specifically designed for glass. Windows, are usually my responsibility and I would normally use soapy water and a 'rubber blade' which produces quite a good finish, but this thing's amazing. You wet the glass, buff with this cloth and hey presto a perfect, smear free window. Even a woman can do this, so I may soon be redundant.
(You've no idea how soon - Ed.)
***
There's Champions League football on television tonight, so guess what I'll be doing?

No comments: