Sunday, November 06, 2005

Are you my daddy?

Good heavens, I think that I may have identified my father! By way of background, my mother and my natural father split up when I was very young, and I have never known my father. I had done a little research using my mother's original marriage certificate, but had drawn a blank. I was fiddling about on this site yesterday and posted details on one of their message boards stating that I was searching for details. First thing this morning, I received a message from Diane in NSW Australia (I have no idea who she is), saying that she had searched for me and had found his birth and death details. You could have knocked me over with a feather (well, one weighing about half a ton). What I had missed in my own search, which was clarified by Diane, was that whilst I was looking for his place of birth as Liverpool, I hadn't realised that West Derby is a suburb of Liverpool, so I had ignored that entry. I have long wondered about him, and it looks like my search for information about him is coming to an end but, having said that, other questions arise. More than likely, I have half brothers and/or sisters. I have also established that my father had brothers, so I could have a huge extended family. I have to say, that it all feels a little strange. I may have uncles, aunts and lots of cousins. Until now my 'family' has consisted of, one aunt and two cousins. What will I unearth? Do I want to unearth any more? I think this one is going to run! I hope I like what I find. Stay tuned.

***

We spent the afternoon at the coast, visiting the beach at l'Espiguette and Aigues Mortes. Because the weather was kind and not too hot, we also spent a little more time than normal exploring the side streets in Aigue Mortes and discovered lots of new things. Altogether a day of discovery!
***
As a final dinner for Kate and Marsha, Jan cooked a slow (five hour) roast leg of lamb, courtesy of Jamie Oliver, and very nice it was too.

No comments: