Sunday, February 20, 2011

DEPEM (I don't know what it means either)



The other day a door shelf in the fridge broke so I looked for a replacement on the internet. I found exactly what I was looking for at DEPEM and nearly fell off my chair when I saw the price, €49.
It did however arrive with a personal bodyguard in a sedan chair without fuss about four days later.
Jan moaned about the price, and I can't say that I was happy, but when you consider that items like this are being stocked in their thousands for a whole range of new and elderly white goods in huge warehouses with no guarantee that they will be sold then it kind of makes some sense.
Compare this to foam shoe insoles. Whilst waiting at the checkout in Carrefour the other day I noted that the cheapest, simple foam shoe insoles cost €5. Now to me, that's expensive. And the prices went up to €17 for the super dooper ones that help you walk on water.
Given that these products are sold in their thousands in supermarkets and are simply stamped out from huge sheets then in my mind that makes them very, very expensive.
There's a job going for a latter day Ralph Nader.

2 comments:

Jean said...

We balked at paying £25 for a pair of handles for our fridge/freezer. We make do by digging our fingers into the rubber seal to open the doors. It works fine and we stopped noticing the holes where the handles used to be a couple of years ago. Visitors obviously think we're a bit wierd, the first time they see us do it.

Aurélie Bottino said...
This comment has been removed by the author.