Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Assisted suicide


As I've grown older I've become more of a fan of assisted suicide. (There are plenty of people willing to help you! - Ed) Given my Catholic upbringing, I know it's a tricky subject for lots of people to accept but I've come down on the pro side.
With this in mind I've become fascinated by the service offered by the Swiss clinic Dignitas. That is until I read an article the other day that said that you have to cough up about €5000 for the privilege. I gasped in disbelief. What the hell do they need €5000 for?
The place looks fairly utilitarian to say the least, so you are hardly dying in 5 star luxury. What can possibly be involved? The fees of a couple of doctors, an IV setup (even the person commiting suicide pushes the plunger) and someone to push the stiffs out of the door. This must be the most expensive bed and breakfast in the world, and you don't even get to eat the breakfast!! Seems a bit excessive to me.

No comments: