Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Nice people


The other day, at his usual (cocktail) hour, Alain, the village artist, popped round to ask a favour. Could I take a photo, for his archive, of a picture that he had just sold?
Last night was the visit to his studio (above), to sink a couple of bottles, and to take the pictures. Alain and Christianne aren't wealthy, but they are without doubt the most hospitable and generous of all the villagers, and we are proud and pleased to call them friends. Whilst it can be a bit daunting (because I know that I'll regret the drink later) I really enjoy visiting them. Throughout the visit you see a procession of nice people, some sober and some not. (You fall into the not category - Ed!) Tonight we met sober Jerome, who was missing his top four front teeth, and who was paying a friendly visit because he was popping into the village fruit and veg supplier nearby. A delightful and interesting man.
Conscious of the fact that Jan's eldest Ben is about to become a father for the first time and I suppose conscious of the fact that, against my better judgement, I bring him cheap cigarettes from La Jonquera whenever we go to Barcelona, he gave us a signed print of a recent painting as a present for the happy couple. Isn't that kind?

No comments: