Friday, May 18, 2007

It's made by who?



The phone call told us that the motor of our 4 years old Whirlpool washing machine had given up the ghost. To replace it would cost about 300 euros and we would have to wait three weeks for the part. Great. Given that we also had problems with our Whirlpool fridge, which was three years old at the time, to put it mildly, my faith in this brand has started to wane. Anyway, we popped out to buy a new one and we bought one called a Laden. I was quite amused when I received the news that Laden are made by Whirlpool. I told the salesman that I knew his brother Bin, but he didn't see the joke.


***

I had to laugh this morning. The mother of a British journalist (above) who has been held captive in Gaza for several weeks now, broadcast a birthday message for him, hoping that he might get to see it. He is probably held in solitary confinement, with a hood over his head and shackled to a wall. But anyway, she was filmed standing in an idyllic setting near a lake in Scotland and wished him happy birthday. She told him not to worry (couldn't quite figure that one out) and that they would be thinking of him as they ate lunch with friends at a local restaurant. I presumed that she would think of him again after the pudding because she wouldn't want to spoil her lunch! If she was my mother I'd divorce her. Insensitive or what?