Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Where to start?

We were very kindly given two invitations to the international wine trade exhibition called Vinisud, at the Exhibition Centre in Montpellier, today. This place is massive. There were exhibitors from France, Italy and Spain and I estimated that there were over 1850 wine and or spirit producers, which is a lot of tasting. Anyway, the first slight hurdle was that this was a show for professionals, but because I class Jan and I as professional drinkers, my conscience was clear. A little porky got us past the gestapo at the entrance to the exhibition halls, all 11 of them, and we let the fun begin. I've said it before but there are some seriously nice wines produced in Languedoc and I was a little ashamed to note that I recognised a lot of the names. A fun time.
***


I stomped around the house for about an hour this afternoon, irritated because I couldn't find my reading glasses. Jan took pity on me, assumed her bored mother (let's sort the silly child) attitude and helped me look for them. She even put me through a sort of regression therapy (when I discovered that I'd been an Egyptian prince in a previous life) but we still could not find them. After about an hour Jan asked what they looked like? I said, well a lot like the ones you are wearing............ I wouldn't have minded, but we have very different prescriptions. You'd have thought that her blurred vision would have been a bit of a clue!


***


The Lloyds leave tomorrow so we reciprocated their kindness from Sunday, with dinner. Jan prepared stuffed peppers (one type with tomatoes and anchovies and the other with meat) to start and then roast tenderloin stuffed with prunes, plums on the side and then meringues with either a sweet chestnut sauce, minted strawberry soup or mascarpone. See what I've got to put up with?

No comments: