Saturday, February 11, 2006

So who's a poser then?

I have always been impressed with cars carrying skis on the roof. If you see them in England, it suggests that you have just nipped over to Switzerland for a little après-ski and might pop back if the snow holds. To little, old, impressionable me, it looks exotic and cool. (You're so shallow - Ed.) When I suggested that we fit a ski rack, Jan pooh-poohed my idea as posing nonsense. That is until she had to sit, squeezed in the back of the car, with one of the seats folded down to accommodate her skis. Now she thinks that it's a 'good idea', so I have to find some porte-skis. I know the type of shop that might sell these things but can I find the right category of shop in pages jaunes? No I can't, so in the end it's back to good old Google and we find the answer. A quick trip into Nîmes and I find what I want at Feu Vert. If you like bits for the car (and I do) this is a little goldmine. If you want snow chains they can even give you a choice of makes. I was very tempted but goodness knows who buys them. This is one of the hottest driest parts of France. Anyway, Jan can now stop whingeing and I can now start posing, so everybody's happy.

***

For a change, we ate out at Mas de Roux last night. They have increased the menu price to 22 euros but it's still good value. The starters were large, and for main course, I had duck cooked to order on the open fire and Jan had a blanquette de veau. Cheese and pudding followed. This isn't the most inventive restaurant but their formula is good.

No comments: