Tuesday, September 13, 2005

On the blink

My mobile phone is starting to play up. Despite practising good battery management (letting it run down fully before recharging it) the battery now dies after one or two days. I asked about the cost of a replacement battery but found that it costs just about as much to completely replace the phone. Welcome to the modern world.

***

It feels strange (and even stranger to say it) but there is something missing with no cricket on television. I have never been a big cricket fan and tried to 'get into it' when I lived near Headingly, Leeds. Headingly is the home of Yorkshire cricket and in those days Yorkshire were a kick ass team. So there I am, sitting with a few mates trying to watch this sporting event which is taking place so far from the spectators that the players are nothing but dots on the horizon. We sit, and I strain to see anything, when I was momentarily distracted, and the only significant event to happen that day, happened as I turned away. Remember there were no large tv screens, no action replays, just a reliance on trying to fathom out what was happening on, what seemed like, the other side of the moon. I have never been to a cricket match since. The world has moved on a lot since then, but I'm afraid it lost me as a spectator. Until just recently that is. It's strange how these things work out.

***

Apart from looking forward to some Champions League football on television tonight, the day was mostly spent with household maintenance and shopping for our next visitors, who arrive tomorrow.

No comments: